[Asterisk-Users] advantages of a sip phone over Wildcard TDM400P solution

Brett Schwarz brett_schwarz at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 10:13:31 MST 2003

--- Andy Powell <andy at beagles-den.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm not sure if SMS is used in the US (please
> correct me if I'm wrong)..

Yes, for the last several years...

> however, since SIP does support messaging it would
> be nice to see
> that added.
>
> Andy
>
> On 25/05/2003 at 02:26 Gary wrote:
>
> >just glancing over that panasonic doc made me start
> thinking, that text
> >messaging (SMS) with asterisk would be
> interesting....
> >
> >now for IAX/SIP/h323/MCGP is there anything in the
> specs about SMS
> >(Short Message Service) which Asterisk could
> implement ?

Are you talking about connecting to the mobile SMS
systems, or are you talking about having a SMS type
system for Asterisk?

For the former, the easiest way to do this is to just
connect via an email hub. Most operators have
email-SMS gateways, where you can send email to
mobiles, which gets converted to SMS messages.

For the latter, I believe Asterisk might have some
type of facility already. In phonecore, there is a
send text function, which would lead me to believe
that this was some sort of messaging
mechanism...although I have not tried it, so I can't
say for sure.

    --brett