[Asterisk-Users] advantages of a sip phone over Wildcard TDM400P solution

Oliver Brandt oliver_mlisten at gmx.de
Sat May 24 14:38:38 MST 2003

Hi Andy!

Thanks for your helpfull reply!

> >snoms is? The only thing I came up with is that the Snoms can use a LDAP
> >adressbook on the server.
>

> Sorry, but Snom have REMOVED this feature! They haven't taken the time
> to update any of their sales literature either. I purchased my Snoms because
> they said that they could use LDAP. IT IS NO LONGER TRUE!!!

That socks! But very good to know.

> dialing any sort of SIP address on either a Snom or analog phone is
> a PITA!  What I tend to do is set up extensions in extensions.conf
> so I can short dial people I regularly call for example:
>
> exten => 4002,1,Dial,SIP/keith at sip.address.com

I'm using an ATA at the moment and that is what I do. It's ok if call
somebody quite often but if you just want to call somebody once this
socks. It should not be to hard to create a webinterface that lets
you (and everybody else on your network) add adresses easily. I'm not to
big on PHP so before I start this project I was wondering if anybody has
done this already. Hate to reinvent the weel a second time.

> >If you have any hints on what hardware to buy or what to watch out for
> >please let me know! Thanks in advance!
>
> It really depends where you live, can you give us a region? For instant
> wireless VOIP use DECT - I use DECT and love it.
I live in Germany and my dad, who I want to connect to, in Austria.

> card and analog phone.. I've searched around and the most expensive analog corded
> phone I can find is about 30GBP compared to a price of about 140GBP for a Snom 100.
> A twin DECT system (2 phones and 1 base station) can be had for less that the price
> of a single Snom 100...

That's kind of what I'm doing at the moment. I'm using a cisco ATA and
a Panasonic DECT phone. Works well.

So I guess I come to the conclusion that it does not make much sense to use sip phones...

Thank you very much for giving me all this information!
Oliver