[Asterisk-Users] RE: Help with H.323

Wade Weppler weppler at wwworks-inc.com
Fri May 23 07:17:03 MST 2003

> I can call the SIP phone from NM, but not reverse.
> How can I register a H.323 client without using a gatekeeper, in order to
> be
> able to define an extension for him?

I spoke with Jeremy about this, and here's what I found by testing:

I've setup a type=user in h323.conf called [100] with host=<valid ip
address>

If I use:

exten => 100,1,Dial,H323/100

The call doesn't go through.

If I use:

exten => 100,1,Dial,H323/100@<valid ip address>

It works fine.  According to Jeremy, chan_h323 first tries to resolve an
address through the gatekeeper.  If a gatekeeper isn't found (or used), it
can't resolve the name (100) to an IP address.  I suggested looking at the
IP in h323.conf if a gatekeeper isn't used.

I'm not sure if Jeremy will take this any further or not, especially after
the last couple days of flame war.

-wade