[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk - Connction to analog PBX?

Alex Lopez alex at opsys.com
Wed May 14 12:22:27 MST 2003

We do this here.  The best would be to connect your PBX to the Asterisk
box via a T1 of PRI interface. Like this you can set up DID routing in
your PBX to access the PBX extensions directly.  Other wise you can get
the four port FXS card and plug your PBXs' CO line (input) into the FXS
card on your asterisk server.  The only way to talk to your PBX is by a
TDM interface, or as it is known in the Asterisk world ZAPATA!!!, so
sorry but your going to have to by some type of interface. There are
many that are supported by Asterisk but the ones that I have had the
best luck with are of course, the Digium products.

Our setup is really flexable. We have a PRI coming into an Adtran Atlas
550 with 6 T1 interfaces.  This allows us to aggregate or digital
services without have to get a T1/PRI line for the telco for each
server.

Our asterisk handles all of our VoIP calls and I have setup the contexts
in the config files to 'transfer' the call to our main PBX
Auto-Attendant.  This way we get the ability to use
SIP,H.323,IAX,etc,etc. and use our existing Company dialplan on our
desk.  Using the Asterisk like this has been great!!  Our next step is
to setup outgoing routing tables in our PBX to transfer Long distance
call to the asterisk and pass them off to a IAX gateway like nufone to
realized even further savings.

Sorry for the long winded reply but I AM EXTREAMLY HAPPY with
asterisk!!!