[Asterisk-Users] SIP Confusion

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri May 9 10:51:04 MST 2003

Asterisk is a transcoder.  This means that calls to and from any
channel type can be piped into any other channel type*.  This means
that your TDM10B has output that gets piped into Asterisk, and then
depending on what you dial and what your dialplan looks like, it can
be sent out to another Zap channel (like your X100P, to the phone
company) or through a SIP channel (like to Iconnecthere.com)

Yes, others use Iconnecthere.com's service (like me, for example.)  I
also gateway my calls out through Nufone and my own PRI terminations
in certain area codes; no special phone required - this is all done
through the dialplan.  You could (as an example of crazy and
meaningless dialplans) pipe your X100P through SIP so that anytime
someone calls  your home number, they are automatically connected to
your cellphone through Iconnecthere.com's long distance service.

Try reducing the complexity of your configuration down to a single
machine with the TDM10B hooked up to it.  Read the examples that
others have given for getting iconnecthere.com to work (see my
now-tedious messages with references to my website with my own
example files on it.)

JT

* (as long as you have the appropriate codecs, which at this time are
the "industry default" of G.711u or G.711a, with G.729 as a
purchasable option ($10 per channel).  Asterisk also uses GSM
(non-Cisco) and ADPCM, which are used in inter-asterisk and other
situations.)