[Asterisk-Users] SIP Confusion

Michael Graff Michael_Graff at isc.org
Fri May 9 10:34:31 MST 2003

"Derek Beaumont" <jerkface2098 at hotmail.com> writes:

> Ok.  I am confused.  I now have conflicting answers to my question:
> Do you need to use a special phone to use SIP?  My setup is
> X100P and TDM10B.
>
> I would like to connect to iConnectHere, which uses SIP.  Has anybody
> done this before (using similar equipment to what I have listed above)?

If you want a stand-alone phone (one that isn't connected to your Asterisk
box) you will need a device that speaks SIP (Cisco ATA-186, Cisco 7960,
and Cisco 2600's with voice cards are what we use here.)

However, any device that can communicate with Asterisk will work, since
Asterisk will be the one speaking SIP to the "next hop."

For instance, if you used the oss card interface thing to place a call
through Asterisk to a SIP destination, it should just work.

You can try turning on SIP debugging to see what's happening:

        sip debug