[Asterisk-Users] SIP configuration question

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue May 6 16:23:06 MST 2003

>First question:  Do you need to use a special phone to use SIP?  My
>setup is X100P and TDM10B (I have 2 computers with the same setup),
>will I be able to use SIP?

SIP is a protocol that works exclusively over IP.  You will need a
"hardphone" like the Cisco 7960, Cisco ATA-186, Snom 100, or a
softphone like the www.xten.com, Microsoft Messenger (with SIP
support) and others.

You can, of course, get two Asterisk servers to communicate to each
other with SIP instead of IAX, but that's probably non-optimal in a
very basic configuration.  Then each Asterisk server can send the
calls wherever (to your Zap lines, or whatever other channels you
want.)

It is my experience that most often people have SIP hardphones, which
communicate to a local Asterisk server, which then in turn routes
calls to either remote Asterisk servers and their downstream phones,
or to PSTN lines (X100P, T100P) via a hardware interface.

>I already have the two computers calling each other using IAX, but I
>would like to see if I can get them to work using SIP.
>
>My current setup:
[snip]

JT