[Asterisk-Users] Termcap support not found

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri May 2 06:52:24 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 03:13, WipeOut . wrote:
> I can sympathise with the new users who get these compile errors
> because the instructions for setting up Asterisk on the asterisk.org
> website says the following..
>
> --snip--
> You must have readline and openssl and thier respective development
> packages.
> You must be running Linux 2.4.x
> You must have the Linux Kernel Sources package installed on your
> system.
> --snip--
>
> There is no mention of these packages that are also required..
>
> bison
> libtermcap
> libtermcap-devel
> newt
> newt-devel
> ncurses
> ncurses-devel
>
> ..and while it may seem logical to install these to a hardend coder it
> means nothing to a newbie who is just getting started in the Open
> Source world and wanting to try the awesome Asterisk PBX..
>
> So maybe give the newbies a break... We were all a newbie at one
> stage.. (I think I still am one quite often)

The main problem with newbies is they don't tend to know how to look up
simple problems. As it had been mentioned before, this was in the
archives. Good use of google over the archives would have turned up the
answer with minimal digging.

The good thing about most newbies is that they accept the prodding to do
minimal searching and answer the easy questions. This is the beggining
of them moving out of being a newbie and on to being a self teaching
user.