[Asterisk-Users] Termcap support not found

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri May 2 11:33:00 MST 2003

On Friday 02 May 2003 03:13 am, WipeOut . wrote:
> I can sympathise with the new users who get these compile errors
> because the instructions for setting up Asterisk on the
> asterisk.org website says the following..
>
> --snip--
> You must have readline and openssl and thier respective development
> packages. You must be running Linux 2.4.x
> You must have the Linux Kernel Sources package installed on your
> system. --snip--
>
> There is no mention of these packages that are also required..
>
> bison
> libtermcap
> libtermcap-devel
> newt
> newt-devel
> ncurses
> ncurses-devel
>
> ..and while it may seem logical to install these to a hardend coder
> it means nothing to a newbie who is just getting started in the
> Open Source world and wanting to try the awesome Asterisk PBX..

Actually, I was considering throwing all of the blame onto RedHat,
Mandrake, and all of the other distributions that when you install
a library, it doesn't install the corresponding HEADER FILES, but that
doesn't go over too well on this list.

If you installed from source, this wouldn't be a problem, dammit.  Why
must RedHat/Mandrake/etc. make the newbie's life harder?  And yes,
that's a rhetorical question.

-Tilghman