[Asterisk-Users] AGI or somthing else??

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Mar 23 09:09:36 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 08:03, WipeOut . wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that AGI can be used to determine variables from external
> sources, but AGI can only be used from the extensions.conf file.
>
> Is there anyway to retrieve external information for the sip.conf
> file??
>
> Here is why..
>
> I will have users on remote networks with dynamic IP addys..
>
> I have an application that can log the IP address of the person
> that sucessfully logs into it..
>
> So I want to tie the app system together with the PBX in that
> by authenticating to the app a user will be granted access to
> the PBX using a SIP phone based on the IP address, so users don't
> have to remember another password.

2 options here.
Easiest: The sip software/device should only need to be configured once
no matter what IP address it is on and will login itself. So no need to
remember new password.

Harder but not really that hard: Lock down your asterisk ports with
linux firewall capabilities and when your app logs the user in, it
applies a rule allowing that user into the aterisk machine. Of course if
you plan to route calls to the user, they need to have at least a
username configured to the sip device so it can identify the user.