[Asterisk-Users] ITSP requested features?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sun Mar 16 12:25:01 MST 2003

Nathan Lutchansky wrote:> [Resent, since I accidentally sent from an
unsubscribed address.]

> I hope nobody minds if I do a bit of market research with the members of
> this list.  :-)
>
> I'm currently working with a company that's looking into providing a
> VoIP-to-PSTN service for consumers, similar to Vonage and Iconnect.
> Because we realize that technically-minded folks are a very important
> market, we would try to provide features (and eliminate restrictions) to
> appeal to individuals and businesses interested in implementing more
> complex PBX systems than a single analog phone hooked to an ATA.
>
> So the real question is, what do you want from your ITSP?  There are some
> obvious answers, such as not requiring use of a closed hardware device
> (like Vonage does) and allowing multiple simultaneous calls.

*FAR* more than anything else from my perspective would be the ease of
access to technical support, and an audit-trail type accounting for
trouble tickets.

Right behind that would be true integrated support for people behind NAT
gateways.  Iconnecthere claims such, but the problems I'm having don't
seem to be widely shared, and I seem to be one of the few who is using
it entirely behind NAT.

IMO all the voicemail systems, Vonage, asterisk, iconnecthere, etc.,
leave quite a bit to be desired in terms of ease of message
manipulation.  So there is some room to differentiate there, too.

B.