[Asterisk-Users] How to play sound AND run asterisk?

Amos Latteier amos at aracnet.com
Sat Mar 8 23:14:47 MST 2003

Hi,

I'm a new asterisk user developing an AGI application. As part of my
application I'd like to play sounds on the server's speakers, but it seems
that I can't do this while asterisk is running.

When I try to play sounds using the play or aplay command, it blocks until
I stop asterisk. My guess is that asterisk is using the sound device and
this means that other programs can't use it. So do I need another sound
card or is there some way to tell asterisk to play sounds on the speakers?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Amos