[Asterisk-Users] IPv4...NAT...etc

Jim Fleming JimFleming at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 5 17:57:53 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Pounder" <JonP at inline.net>

> >...Asterisk is a natural extension of the NAT transition/evolution and
> >helps to negate any need for IPv6...
>
> I think all the extra layered on crap for NAT and the hacks to make a few
> static ips last longer in a world that needs a larger address space is just
> needlessly complicating the application layers of software when clearly the
> transport and internetworking layers are sadly out of date.

A PBX (ala Asterisk) is by definition a NAT node/device/system.

The alternative is to build a phone system using the strict end-to-end religion.
That is like attempting to build it with tin cans and kite string with all cans connected to all others.
It does not scale, and all services then increase the complexity of each phone.
Asterisk (a PBX) is by definition a point where complexity is centralized. There are other factors
such as cost which have to be taken into consideration with any architecture. The cost of the
system administration can be an important factor.

When people were considering PCs rather than phones, they made the end-to-end argument,
assuming that all PC owners would want to be full-blown, front-row, workstation power users.
Most people are not in that situation. They prefer to be behind a NAT.
...If you extend the end-to-end dogma to a complete PC, one would find that the keyboard, mouse
and other devices would be on a LAN. Do you see any real benefit in being able to ping each PC's
keyboard or mouse ? No, PCs are a point of centralized complexity.

PCs...plus phones...plus Asterisk...are now a point of centralized complexity...with a distributed architecture...
...there is no doubt that the protocols will be refined and the systems will become more polished...

...the aging IPv4 legacy transport is being routed around and Asterisk is a key component to accelerate that...
...the more the I* society 0:0 .ARPA transport is avoided (routed around) the more legacy IPv4 addresses
will be freed up...eventually, it will be like an island of X.25 or uucp connections...a museum piece...

Jim Fleming
http://IPv8.no-ip.com