[Asterisk-Users] IPv4...NAT...etc

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed Mar 5 17:08:48 MST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 05:45:13PM -0600, Jim Fleming wrote:
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-March/008088.html
> "why is there such a delay in getting ipv6 rolled out when it solves all these problems ?"

I doubt that users will stop using NAT until ISPs stop charging
per address for SOHO customers.

BellSouth charges $10/month for each additional IP address for
their ADSL service, that's in addition to their DSL charges.

Cox Cable (Gulf Coast) charges $13.90/month for two additional
IP addresses.

Neither service permits static IP addresses unless you want to
use their business internet service which is generally about 2x
the cost of residential.

So rather than spending the extra money or upgrading to a
bussiness service people will use NAT.

Personally I have three IP addresses from Cox Cable, one for my
NAT router and two for testing various devices that don't work
with NAT.

--Eric