[Asterisk-Users] IPv4...NAT...etc

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Mar 5 17:04:01 MST 2003

At 05:45 PM 3/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-March/008088.html
>"why is there such a delay in getting ipv6 rolled out when it solves all
>these problems ?"
>===
>There are many reasons...
>1. Leasing Address Space from the I* society (small s...aka the Big Lie
>Society) is not desirable by all people...

where do you think ip4 space comes from ?

>2. The IPv6 Privacy Problem...that is especially important in the area of
>computer telephony...

what privacy ? Do you mean to say you think having a static address is
wrong since others will be able to identify you ? Isn't this the same
concept of not accepting blocked calls in the telephony world ? If you need
to hide, then most people will make the decision not to talk to you.

>3. There is no shortage of IPv4 Address Space [1]

if there is not a shortage then why doesn't everyone have all the static
ips they want ?

>4. The 160 bits in the IPv4 Header can easily be used to store up to 43
>bits of addressing (4+7=11+32=43)

not sure what you are proving with this calculation

>5. The AM/FM InterNAT bit in the IPv4 Header can also be used to
>differentiate Next Generation higher-quality services...

this has nothing to do with the number of available addresses, only what
services run on them. You could use it to route to a different machine if
you wanted, but that is not really the point of this thread.

>...Asterisk is a natural extension of the NAT transition/evolution and
>helps to negate any need for IPv6...

I think all the extra layered on crap for NAT and the hacks to make a few
static ips last longer in a world that needs a larger address space is just
needlessly complicating the application layers of software when clearly the
transport and internetworking layers are sadly out of date.