[Asterisk-Users] Known SIP - NAT Solutions?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Mar 5 17:34:23 MST 2003

>Finally someone has hit the same problems that we have. Everyone on this
>newsgroup seems to have static IPs!
>
>The problems you get can manifest in 2 ways:
>
>1) you cannot get through to the phone at all
>
>2) one-way audio - you can hear the other end but they can't hear you.
>
>The problem is a combination of things:
>
>1) router port forwarding - you have to set udp port 5060 (default sip
>signalling port) to be forwarded to the sip phone. This will enable the
>initial port can take place i.e. to make the phone ring etc.
>
>2) the router also has to allow symmetrical nat (I think that's what they
>call it) so that when your phone opens the relevant rtp port the other end
>can talk to your phone along the same temporarily open port connection.
>
>3) asterisk has to support STUN (or something similar). This will enable the
>mapping of a phone's internal private address to the router's external
>address, so that asterisk knows where to actually send the packets to. At
>present it isn't supported.

Asterisk currently sends the RTP packets to the right address (check
it out with a packet sniffer) but the NAT box doesn't have a mapping
set up on that return port, so the NAT drops them on the floor.

I know a solution exists here.  My ATA-186 works behind my NAT when I
have it configured for iconnecthere.com, and they don't have magic
UDP elves, so it must be able to work for other SIP servers if the
right trickery can be implemented.  I just don't know yet what that
trickery is.  :)

JT