[Asterisk-Users] Known SIP - NAT Solutions?

T Aksoy tan at yointernet.com
Wed Mar 5 15:17:31 MST 2003

Finally someone has hit the same problems that we have. Everyone on this
newsgroup seems to have static IPs!

The problems you get can manifest in 2 ways:

1) you cannot get through to the phone at all

2) one-way audio - you can hear the other end but they can't hear you.

The problem is a combination of things:

1) router port forwarding - you have to set udp port 5060 (default sip
signalling port) to be forwarded to the sip phone. This will enable the
initial port can take place i.e. to make the phone ring etc.

2) the router also has to allow symmetrical nat (I think that's what they
call it) so that when your phone opens the relevant rtp port the other end
can talk to your phone along the same temporarily open port connection.

3) asterisk has to support STUN (or something similar). This will enable the
mapping of a phone's internal private address to the router's external
address, so that asterisk knows where to actually send the packets to. At
present it isn't supported.

As an example, the snom phones work from behind nat because they have a stun
client which talks to the snomag.de stun server. So as long as port
forwarding it correctly configured then snom (behind nat) to snom (behind
nat) works. When asterisk gets in the way then it doesn't.

Does anyone know if stun will be implemented within asterisk? We're quite
desperate for this functionality.

Thanks
Tan