[Asterisk-Users] .gsm files

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jun 16 12:17:51 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 09:34, firedude at shorelinuxsolutions.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Being a true Linux geek, I've never been too much into sounds or sound
> files other than a few .mp3 songs I got.  My question is pretty
> straightforward and simple.  I see that the music format of choice for
> asterisk is .gsm.  What can I use to listen to files in .gsm format and
> what is the most effective way of recording files into .gsm format?
>
> The last part of the question is pretty simple as well.  I have a
> soundblaster live pci 16.  Is this pretty sufficient for asterisk?
> Thanks in advance.
> AJ

Look into sweep. Sweep seems like a pretty good audio app. I've used it
recently with a recording I made from asterisk to convert it to formats
that other people might be able to use.

For recording prompts, I have had plenty of luck just using the
telephone and an extension to play a beep, then record. I then can
either hangup, or I have set it up to playback the recording after
pressing # in the recording.