[Asterisk-Users] Opportunistic VoIP

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Jun 14 13:32:34 MST 2003

Willi -
   I think you misunderstand my point.  The fact that TRIP is not open
to all parties is it's strength, and does not "break" it.  ENUM is
for identifying individual destinations for completely-qualified
phone numbers.  TRIP is for identifying gateways to aggregated blocks
of phone numbers.  There is a difference between the absolute answers
of ENUM and the relative answers of TRIP, which makes them extremely
different in their use.  They can (and probably should) be used in
the same dial plan examinations - if a search can't find an answer
via ENUM, use TRIP and your call will get there on the
cheapest/best/fastest/whatever path.  They compliment each other, and
are not competitors, though there may be some overlap in their route
tables.

   I may want to have pre-established relationships with certain
providers.  Remember, most of the world won't be running end-to-end
VOIP anytime soon, so I need to have PSTN carriers who can give me
gateways into the TDM network.  Even between VOIP networks, TRIP has
large benefits if I have big PBX systems with large ranges of
numbers.  ENUM tells you exactly where to go; TRIP tells you a path
if you don't have exact information.  ENUM cannot have "competing"
answers for the same route question; TRIP allows local or remote
weights to be assigned to individual paths or even to individual
numbers.  From a programmatical point of view this may seem
imprecise, but until many years in the future I believe this will be
the most pragmatic approach to useful VOIP delivery.

JT