[Asterisk-Users] Opportunistic VoIP

Wilhelm Wimmreuter wilhelm at wimmreuter.de
Sat Jun 14 08:31:30 MST 2003

John,

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 21:58, John Todd wrote:
> >This is slightly off-topic I suppose, but:
> 2) The ENUM system is centralized.  TRIP can be established between
> two telephone systems, independently of any third party's cooperation
> or assistance.  Routes can be exchanged in any way that is acceptable
> to those two systems.

 I belive, that his is exactly the problem of TRIP.
TRIP needs peering agreements between all providers.
Compared to ENUM that can be queried without having
a pre-established contract between all operators.
This applies for queries as well as for providioning
of the repository. Besides this, TRIP is way
overloaded with attributes no one needs at the end.

 My conclusion:
TRIP breaks because it is not open to all parties.

and this goes well along with Florian Overkamp's
statement:

>> TRIP only makes it harder for widespread use to deal with
>> such things as number portability (can't ever do that with
>> IP, remember). As far as I can tell from the TRIP docs
>> this looks a lot like some big telco tries to make it more
>> difficult for customers to move to another telco and still
>> use their old number...

Willi