[Asterisk-Users] X100P creating a short-circuit on line

K. C. Li li at laser.com
Wed Jun 4 04:42:04 MST 2003

We have a Digium X100P FXO single-line PCI card installed on our Asterisk
test server and it has been working fine. ie. We can initiate and receive
PSTN calls and transfer between PSTN and VoIP without any problems.

However, we have had a surprised engineer visit from our telco, British
Telecom, yesterday. The engineer said that their automatic fault detection
equipment at the exchange has detected a "short" on our PSTN line, the
line where the X100P is plugged in. Apart from a 2Mb ADSL line sharing it,
there is no other telecommunications equipment attached to that particular
PSTN line.

After carried out some local tests, the BT engineer confirmed that the
detected line fault was caused by the X100P. We have disconnected the
X100P from the PSTN line for now in case it would trigger the line fault
test again (and we'll be charged for the engineer visit). I suspect that
the BT automatic line testing has detected a difference in on-hook line
impedance with the X100P instead of a "dead short" as reported by the
engineer.

Has anyone come across a problem like that with their X100P and UK telcos?

Regards,

Kwong Li
li at laser.com
Laser Business Systems Ltd.