[Asterisk-Users] Announcing IAXCLIENT v0.02 A cross-platform IAX client.

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Jun 2 16:02:15 MST 2003

Asterisk-people,

    Some of you may have heard that we were working on a simple,
cross-platform IAX client library called "iaxclient".

    We've pretty much been "on vacation" with the project for a while,
but recently have made some progress, and now have the library working
across platforms, and a simple test client called "testcall", up and
running on 3 platforms:

testcall runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OSX.

I've been using it for a day now, and the quality is pretty good, of
course it does depend on the sound hardware you're using, etc.

testcall is a simple command-line app, which is just a test interface to
the library, but it seems to work well, and I've used it to make some
calls both across local networks, as well as over the internet.

Some more information, including links to pre-compiled binaries, are
available at http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net Source code and build
directions are available from the sourceforge CVS servers.

Iaxclient uses digium's libiax, the portaudio audio abstraction
libraries, the gsm codec, and other components.

Feedback is, of course, welcome.

People interested in making a cross-platform GUI for a more
full-featured client would also be welcomed.

Features upcoming would include:
1) Audio processing code:
     Audio level detection, for callbacks to GUI "level meters", silence
detection, and Automatic Gain Control (for adjusting input "levels"
automatically) [perhaps also better handling of clipped inputs?]
2) Upgrades to libiax2
3) Simple, and lightweight GUIs for Win32 and MacOSX
4) testing and tweaking of jitter buffers, recovery, and other
reliability enhancements [after first moving to libiax2].

-SteveK