[Asterisk-Users] ISDN4Linux + Asterisk and Europe

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Mon Jun 2 01:11:57 MST 2003

There has been a lot of discussion about ISDN BRI on the list - a search
will turn up plenty of discussion!

You're right about there being a lot of ISDN cards available that are
certified for use in Europe.  They fall into two categories - active and
passive.  Passive cards are cheap and generally operate through ISDN4linux
and asterisk's chan_modemi4l.  The reported disadvantages of this approach
are:

- delay during calls
- echo (it's disputed what the cause of it is but it's a bit of a nuisance)
- call tones don't follow PSTN patterns.

The active cards (AVM is the major supplier, I think) are better.  If you
get one with a CAPI interface then you can use the asterisk chan_capi
driver.  I haven't any experience of this type of card - maybe someone else
can provide feedback.

  Iain