[Asterisk-Users] Any dialing tricks...

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jul 17 09:04:15 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 10:38, Kim C. Callis wrote:
> Alright, I am basically cheap, and I have a cellular plan which allows
> for free incoming calls (Nextel). I was wondering if there was any way
> to do sort of a dialback trick in the extensions.conf… I call into the
> system from  my cell phone (maybe via DISA), I dial an internal
> extension, and dial a phone number… Then * sends to my cellphone the
> number dialed thus giving me a in call on the cell. Or maybe have a
> call back with a DISA and then just dial my phone number I am trying
> to reach…

It is possible for your asterisk box to detect your callerid provided it
is available on your asterisk line, and use that as a pattern match on
incoming calls to direct you to a slightly different extension. From
there you can drop a sample call in the outgoing queue and then answer
the line long enough to hang it up. This should make your outgoing call
be about 1 second long, and allow you positive knowledge that the
asterisk system received and acknowledged your call. The sample.call
file can call you back then and drop you in a context where you can
access anything you are interested in.

See easy.