X100P mod or USB relay box, RE: [Asterisk-Users] Line Override Device

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jul 14 09:34:13 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 10:42, Reed Wade wrote:
> The best solution would be an enhancement to the X100P card.
>
> If the 2nd RJ jack was a pass through for the line except
> when the card had power and was initialized. Some kind of
> watchdog functionality would also be nice so that if, for
> example, Asterisk dies then pass through functionality would
> take effect after n seconds.
>
> This would probably mean adding a relay to the board which
> would raise to cast a little. But, as the original poster
> indicated this is critical for a serious system.

One wouldn't use a X100P in a "serious" system. Maybe a appliance
expected in the home, but then again in such a system you would probably
wire up a adapter that could bridge all the lines together and connect
them to a single outside extension on power failure. This way on
failure, you revert to a single line analog setup. Possibly with a
transformer on the loop to help out with ren limits.

> An alternative would be an extra relay box, maybe powered by
> USB. One mode could be to switch based on presence of power,
> another mode could require periodic watchdog pings via the
> USB. I always wanted to build something using a USB flavored
> PIC...

Only if you aren't pulling power from the USB bus. There isn't much
there.