X100P mod or USB relay box, RE: [Asterisk-Users] Line Override Device

Reed Wade reed at cadre5.com
Mon Jul 14 08:42:05 MST 2003

The best solution would be an enhancement to the X100P card.

If the 2nd RJ jack was a pass through for the line except
when the card had power and was initialized. Some kind of
watchdog functionality would also be nice so that if, for
example, Asterisk dies then pass through functionality would
take effect after n seconds.

This would probably mean adding a relay to the board which
would raise to cast a little. But, as the original poster
indicated this is critical for a serious system.

An alternative would be an extra relay box, maybe powered by
USB. One mode could be to switch based on presence of power,
another mode could require periodic watchdog pings via the
USB. I always wanted to build something using a USB flavored
PIC...

I can see this for small offices (like ours). We have 4 incoming
lines in a hunt group. If Asterisk is not running I want one of
those lines to ring the receptionist (maybe using a simple dedicated
phone since they'd otherwise have an IP phone) and the others looped
for busy.

I can see a box with USB and 12 RJ jacks (4 x (1 in, 2 outs)) to make
that work.

Would anyone buy a product like that?

-reed