[Asterisk-Users] unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/zaptel.o

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jul 13 15:28:59 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 16:57, Tim Petlock wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've been lurking here for a couple weeks just trying to get an idea of
> how to install asterisk.  I'm running Debian with a custom kernel
> version 2.4.18.  I think I've got all the dependencies installed -
> debian packages readline4 and openssl are installed.  It's a very
> barebones install with only the packages relevant to building a kernel
> and asterisk installed.
>
> The compile of zaptel fails with:
> Depmod: *** unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/zaptel.o
> /sbin/depmod -a
> I recently purchased the developer's kit from Digium with a single port
> FXO and single (active) port FXS card.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

First off, use depmod -ae and it will tell you what symbols you are
missing.

My first guess is that you do not have ppp in your kernel and I think
the default zaptel is using ppp symbols. If you notice this via using
depmod -ae, you will have 2 options;
1: enable ppp in your kernel as a module and just recompile the modules.
2: edit the makefile and comment out the ppp option and recompile.