[Asterisk-Users] unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/zaptel.o

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Jul 13 16:42:51 MST 2003

>On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 16:57, Tim Petlock wrote:
>>  Hi all.
>>
>>  I've been lurking here for a couple weeks just trying to get an idea of
>>  how to install asterisk.  I'm running Debian with a custom kernel
>>  version 2.4.18.  I think I've got all the dependencies installed -
>>  debian packages readline4 and openssl are installed.  It's a very
>>  barebones install with only the packages relevant to building a kernel
>>  and asterisk installed.
>>
>>  The compile of zaptel fails with:
>>  Depmod: *** unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/zaptel.o
>>  /sbin/depmod -a
>>  I recently purchased the developer's kit from Digium with a single port
>>  FXO and single (active) port FXS card.
>>
>>  What am I doing wrong?
>
>First off, use depmod -ae and it will tell you what symbols you are
>missing.
>
>My first guess is that you do not have ppp in your kernel and I think
>the default zaptel is using ppp symbols. If you notice this via using
>depmod -ae, you will have 2 options;
>1: enable ppp in your kernel as a module and just recompile the modules.
>2: edit the makefile and comment out the ppp option and recompile.
>--
>Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>

Tim:
   I recently installed on Debian for the first time, and made some
notes on the process, which you'll find below.  I'm not using the PPP
modules, so I just commented that section out and it seemed to mostly
solve my problems after I got all the right libraries installed.

JT

debian asterisk install notes:
- in asterisk/Makefile: added "-I/usr/local/ssl/include" to CFLAGS line
- in asterisk/res/Makefile: added "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" to CRYPTO_LIBS line
- in zaptel/Makefile: commented out KFLAGS+=-DCONFIG_ZAPATA_PPP   line
- installed libnewt-dev
- installed newt-tcl (not sure if actually needed)
- installed "apt-get source openssl"
- installed "apt-get install openssl"