[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and VMWare

Dan dtoma at fx.ro
Sat Jul 12 12:49:20 MST 2003

Hi,

I have installed Asterisk in a VM under VMWare Workstation 4.x (on WinXP).
The computer is an Athlon @1GHz with 384MB RAM, 128MB allocated for RH9.
Linux is fully installed (but without any X stuff).
I have the latest Astrisk distribution (DL today)
I have no Digium card installed on this machine.

When I call Echotest, Asterisk play the message a l ittle bit choppy, but
the echotest is perfect (no interruptions).
The processor is used max 5% (peak) by the VMWare engine during  the message
playing.

I have used a Cisco 7960 (G711) to call the Echotest.
It seems that the GSM to G711 conversion inside VMWare virtual machine is
the cause of this.
It can be done something to improve this behaviour?

Thanks,
Dan