[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and VMWare

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jul 13 08:38:10 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 14:49, Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Asterisk in a VM under VMWare Workstation 4.x (on WinXP).
> The computer is an Athlon @1GHz with 384MB RAM, 128MB allocated for RH9.
> Linux is fully installed (but without any X stuff).
> I have the latest Astrisk distribution (DL today)
> I have no Digium card installed on this machine.
>
> When I call Echotest, Asterisk play the message a l ittle bit choppy, but
> the echotest is perfect (no interruptions).
> The processor is used max 5% (peak) by the VMWare engine during  the message
> playing.
>
> I have used a Cisco 7960 (G711) to call the Echotest.
> It seems that the GSM to G711 conversion inside VMWare virtual machine is
> the cause of this.
> It can be done something to improve this behaviour?

Echo test doesn't do any codec conversions.

You problem is probably context switching problems. Windows is a heavy
front end, and you add that Windows is not a realtime OS. This means
applications run on in vmware, and on windows is a long way from
realtime no matter what you think about your processor.