[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and VMWare

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Tue Jul 8 08:48:21 MST 2003

> I use a similar asterisk setup when my T100P card is being used
outside
> the home. I ran it on a 1ghz athlon that was shared as my workstation,
> but all linux. When my screen saver started, the audio quality dropped
> below usable. So obviously my system was idle if the screen saver
> started. SO as you can see you most likely will not get good results
> under vmware even if you are on a pretty hefty machine.

VMWare GSX server would give you better performance (probably enough to
run asterisk in the VM); however, it does not meet your criteria for a
couple reasons: 1) Windows cannot be used as the host environment 2) It
costs as much as a machine sufficient to run asterisk for your purposes.

If you are not interfacing to any hardware devices you might be able to
get asterisk compiling with MinGW or Cygwin and running natively in
Win32. You would not have zaptel timing, so MusicOnHold, MeetMe, etc.
are all out unless you somehow emulate the functionality of zaprtc or
ztdummy under windows. I am sure there are a lot of other issues
compiling under Win32 that will come up as well, but still it may be
possible.

John