[Asterisk-Users] 911 settings.

Joel Maslak jmaslak at antelope.net
Fri Dec 19 21:51:42 MST 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Nick Bachmann wrote:

> I don't know how big of a customer you are for your phone company, but
> if you have more than a token number of lines they'll hopefully go for it.

Another option is to call the non-emergency number of the dispatch center
and explain "this one number/address could actually mean someone is
calling from either this location or the one down the street...  Make sure
you get this information from the caller.".

Typically they can add some comments to their database at the dispatch
center (they typically use this feature for making note of things like
"site stores 3 million gallons of highly explosive substance", which the
phone company doesn't keep in their databases).  It's not as good as
knowing exactly where the call is coming from, but it is a start.  It
might be good for people that have non-local phone numbers, too, and 911
is translated to the non-emergency phone number.  If you call them up and
talk to them, they are typically glad to help.  They often are willing to
help you test the actual 911 part of your dial-plan, too (are you *SURE*
you haven't screwed that up?  The only way to find out is to test this -
WITH THE DISPATCH CENTER'S COOPERATION).  (this isn't a bad thing to do
even if you are using a land line with supposedly the right address - all
computer databases are not 100% accurate...)

--
Joel