[Asterisk-Users] nat router + sip phone adaptor (+adsl modem)

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Dec 19 05:17:12 MST 2003

Hi!

> I was wondering whether any of you have experience/info on Cable and/or ADSL
> modems that would come together with a SIP phone adaptor. What I am
> interested in is something that would plug directly into you ISP's cable (be
> it ethernet or adsl/phoneline), would combine a modem/router/nat such that
> on the other you could simply plug in your RJ-45 cable for your PC and a
> RJ-11 cable for the telephone. Something that would combine the
> functionality of a (adsl modem+) router and a SIP telephone adaptor in one
> box.

This is not exactly what you are asking for, but its getting close:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=VOIP+Phones
Look at the "Clipcomm" devices (Korea). I'd be interested in any reports
& experiences.

Next to that the newer Grandstream firmware now supports PPPoE (but now
routing or port forwarding). Not sure what the CISCO devices offer in
this respect. I wouldn't want to have ADSL modem & router coupled in one
device, that'll make your router useless if you move to cable modem etc.
So better not integrate too many task into one piece of hardware.

Cheers, Philipp