[Asterisk-Users] Headless Linux system for Asterisk

Walker Haddock whaddock at datacrest.com
Thu Dec 18 16:08:24 MST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 03:02:42PM -0700, Michael Welter wrote:
> Because of space limitations and because of the location of the
> punch-down blocks, my * server is located on the shelf in a coat closet.
>  Sadly, there is not enough space (or ventilation) for the monitor and
> keyboard.  This will all change when we move to new quarters, but...
>
> Does anyone have experience running Linux/Asterisk without a monitor?
> What, if any, are the issues?

Not only can you run Linux without a monitor or keyboard, you can also just plug a keyboard and monitor in if you need to get at the console.  When you're done, just unplug them.  (You won't do that on an NT server).

What I do is install linux with a keyboard and monitor connected.  After I've got it on the network, I go back to my office and finishe the configuration.  When I install the server at the clients site, I just make sure that my ssh connection can route to the server so I can go back to my office and maintain it.  The end user can ssh to the server if they need to (are interested in) observe or manage Asterisk.

It's great, two connections to the server:  network and power.

Walker
--
********   DataCrest, Inc. -- Technically Superior   ******************
Walker Haddock                       http://www.datacrest.com
DataCrest, Inc.                    e-mail:  wh at datacrest.com
1634A Montgomery Hwy.    phone:  1-888-941-3282, 1-205-335-8589
Birmingham, AL 35216                  fax:  1-205-823-7838