[Asterisk-Users] Headless Linux system for Asterisk

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Thu Dec 18 21:27:02 MST 2003

TC wrote:
>>If you truly want it headless with a serial console without that problem,
>>stick a PC Weasel board in it (http://www.realweasel.com).
>
> Well I'll one up you here, & say get a KVM eithernet switcher
> http://www.kvm.net/kvmindex.html
> http://www.cyclades.com/products/
>
> But you gonna have to have the deep pockets, ...
> dont suppose anyone knows of IP KVM in the 0-$500 :)
> (for 1-16 devices)

I've been buying HP DL380s for work - they're excellent servers,
and can run everything through the serial port (including the
bios).  Plus, they've got a "lights-out" package (standard on
the generation 3 machines) that basically does IP KVM (it gives
you an additional NIC dedicated to it).  It's a bit overkill for
home use, but is a great machine.  Dual hot-swap power supplies,
SMART Raid controller with 6 hot-swap drive bays, hot swap
fans (do not put this beast somewhere that you have to listen
to it - it's LOUD), in a nice 2U rackmount case.  The Gen3s
I got in the summer came with dual P4 2.4 Xeons.

I'm not affiliated with HP/Compaq - just a satisfied customer.
For that matter, I think IBM makes a similar box with a
Lights-out option as well.

For at home, I do the same as other people have noted - I run
most of my linux boxen headless, and just use SSH.

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan

It sure is Monday... Ain't it a sin
I've gotta work my way thru the week again.
	- Mark Chesnutt..."Sure Is Monday"