[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960, Nortel MICS, Digital sets, ...

Derek Billingsley asterisk at geeknet.ca
Mon Dec 15 06:34:55 MST 2003

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping folks can help me out with.
When I search the mailing list, I see folks doing what I'm interested in
so here's hoping !

- How are people making out with interfacing to the 7960?  I'm
considering buying a number of these as they look quite feature rich.
But, are they easy to interface to?
     - Will I be able to interface with softkeys on the phone?  For
example, I see the phone has a 'Services' button that I'd like to
program, maybe even with material that gives agents real time
information (such as any real-time network information I want flashed to
agents),

- As an alternative to above, we are considering the Nortel MICS
approach (like a low cost 6x16).  Our ILEC supplies us currently with a
CO-based PBX service and we've come to love the Meridian sets.  As an
alternative to the IP phones, I've seen refurb'd MICS systems for sale.
I read in the group that the phones themselves are a proprietary Nortel
signalling but I can front-end the PBX with an Asterisk setup.   If I do
this, is it possible to maintain the ability to:
     - .. select from a list of multiple lines that might be ringing?
(makes sense if each trunk is fed separately from Asterisk)
     - .. intercom access between phones seems as though it would be
through the MICS and not touch Asterisk at all
     - .. Can I light a message-waiting lamp? (So a VM waiting in
Asterisk would light the lamp on a particular Meridian set)

If it wasn't for those damn friendly Meridian sets haha...  but maybe
the Cisco set is a good substitute.

- Just another final question, has anyone had success in running a
real-time, low cost Internet-based trunk between office locations using
Asterisk and going through setting up dialing plans, etc.  I want to
push ahead for a trial of this but I'd like to know what I should be
expecting?  Can I expect toll-quality voice?  Any problems with
full-duplex? etc  This is a basic question, I know, but I'm trying to
understand what my expectations should be.

Thanks for the help, this project is quite exciting stuff.
Derek