[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960, Nortel MICS, Digital sets, ...

Todd Lieberman todd at tlsolutions.net
Mon Dec 15 08:27:24 MST 2003

Stay away from the MICS.  I realize the handsets are nice but the entire
system is far too complex for it's own good.   The M in MICS stands for
modular.  My MICS supports a 15 seat call center.  The system has 4
modules daisy chained together, a remote access box, a separate system
for music on hold, wiring galore and a hooky user interface to program
with.  Worst part is if one module goes down it can bring the entire
sysetm down!.  The kicker for me is that I don't have someone one site
so it can take hours to troubleshoot and fix my problems remotely.  The
MICS new cost me almost 20 G's.

In contrast, I am very satisfied with asterisk.  I have a 12 seat call
center and the total cost was about $6000.  It took me about two weeks
to get comfortable with * but now I'm addicted.

I suggest you take * for a test drive.  Get two Cisco phones off ebay
and install asterisk on any old P3 or better.  Sign up for nufone.net
and find out for yourself how good VOIP sounds.  All my phones are Cisco
7940's.  Programming the services button is easy if you can do web
programming and it's reliability is fair to good or no worse than
Nortel.  I have no experience with paging but I hear the Snom phones can
do an auto answer so if that is a requirement you may want to check the
list archives for some paging background before you buy cisco, you may
want Snom.

Good luck, Todd Lieberman

--
Todd Lieberman