[Asterisk-Users] Help: codecs and bandwidth

Matt Lawson matt at 1control.com
Thu Dec 11 13:30:45 MST 2003

In an attempt to reduce bandwidth usage, I tried forcing my Asterisk to
use Speex.  I did a "disallow=all" then an "allow=speex".  The crazy
thing is, it didn't reduce the bandwidth usage at all!

I can do an IAX2 show channels and it shows the call being in format 512
(Speex, right)?

Then I switch iax.conf to only allow ulaw.  I retry the call.  IAX2
shows the call is in format 4, as expected.

But in both cases, iptraf shows the call is consuming about 170kbps (85
each way) over the baseline.  How can this be?  How can there be no
difference between the two?

:-/