[Asterisk-Users] Computing horsepower needed

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Dec 10 17:40:08 MST 2003

> We assume this kind of experimentation is happing in a lab
> enviroment.  Failure there is not a problem it's a data point.

Agreed, but then they'd be posting the test result data to the list, not
asking what the minimums are.

> In a test system I can take out half the RAM, slow the CPU clock
> or run the CPU without  the cooling fan and just measure what
> happens.  Yes, stupid do do those things in a system people
> are depending on.

Agreed 100%.  If you want to conduct experiments you do so by conducting
them, not asking what the minimums are.

I dunno, I am kind of in the same boat as Steven on this...  if you're gonna
experiment then experiment.  Don't decide to get into * and the first thing
out of your mouth is what's the bare minimum processor+ram you can get to
make it work...  buy something moderately new (P3, 128M, IDE disk) -- it
ain't gonna break the bank, it's gonna be easier to find and likely be far
more reliable than that P90 you have in the back room that's been gathering
dust for the past 5 years.

Sorry I don't mean to be so bitter...  I probably shouldn't be posting with
this headache.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew