[Asterisk-Users] Computing horsepower needed

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 17:27:07 MST 2003

We assume this kind of experimentation is happing in a lab
enviroment.  Failure there is not a problem it's a data point.

In a test system I can take out half the RAM, slow the CPU clock
or run the CPU without  the cooling fan and just measure what
happens.  Yes, stupid do do those things in a system people
are depending on.

--- Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com> wrote:
> > There is a _good_ reason to ask too.  I've been experimenting
> > I buy new
> > equipment but I'm still looking to reduce power, heat, noise and
> > space to the bare minimum.  No need to buy a CPU that burns
> > 120W of power if you can use a one that uses 45W and
> > lets you get rid of one of the fans.  Same with disk drives.
> > More RAM might let you use a low noise/low heat drive rather then
> > that 7200RM noise maker.  I'd like to be able to install a
> > notebook sized drive on the * server.
>
> No, actually that's a terrible reason to ask.  If you are unfamiliar
> with *
> you have no business trying to optimize your system.  This is typical
> early
> optimization that plagues any design or deployment.
>
> Just learning * is NOT the place to try and cut corners and save some
> coin.
> Get it working, get familiar with it and THEN see where your specific
> needs
> are and optimize for them.
>
> Early optimization is a problem everywhere, not just in programming.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

=====
Chris Albertson