[Asterisk-Users] Computing horsepower needed

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Dec 10 18:44:49 MST 2003

> > In a test system I can take out half the RAM, slow the CPU clock
> > or run the CPU without  the cooling fan and just measure what
> > happens.  Yes, stupid do do those things in a system people
> > are depending on.
>
> Agreed 100%.  If you want to conduct experiments you do so by conducting
> them, not asking what the minimums are.
>
> I dunno, I am kind of in the same boat as Steven on this...  if you're gonna
> experiment then experiment.  Don't decide to get into * and the first thing
> out of your mouth is what's the bare minimum processor+ram you can get to
> make it work...  buy something moderately new (P3, 128M, IDE disk) -- it
> ain't gonna break the bank, it's gonna be easier to find and likely be far
> more reliable than that P90 you have in the back room that's been gathering
> dust for the past 5 years.

But... if you place yourself in the position of the newbie, where else could
you ask given the "documentation" that truly doesn't exist (yet).

Mark made the comment about a month ago that "asterisk is this best kept
secret" in the world. The flip side of that is jumping on every newbie
that comes along and pissing them off enough to leave the list (and the
app). For those that have been around here for more then 30 days, you
already know that's the nature of this list. If you don't like the questions,
delete it and stop cluttering the list.