[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Asterisk servers sharing/propagating registry ?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Dec 9 13:12:22 MST 2003

>On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 08:40:36AM -0800, Chris Albertson wrote:
>>
>>  It would be a major change to the code but I think what you'd
>>  want to do is have the Asterisk server store _all_ of it's information
>>  in something like a database, The dail plan, SIP registrations,
>>  everything would have to go there.  Once you've done that any
>>  number of Asterisk servers could share the same database and there
>>  are methods of running mirrored databases already.
>>

>This is one way of doing it. The other way being to exchange live
>routing/registration data, and keep and process it locally, somewhat
>like what a BGP router does.
>
>>  When I worked at a dot.com we had a design requirement that I
>>  should be able to go into the server room and pull any of the AC
>>  power cords and the users should not be able to know.  About the
>>  _only_ way to do this is with "load balancing".  Fail over does
>>  not work so transparently.
>>

>It's not the goal here. I'm not looking for "five nines". I'm looking
>for a way to :
>- connect several tens of E1 channels (thus I need a quite a few
>   different boxes)
>- support the fact that any single box may be down. I could drop the
>   channels it currently processes, which is OK. But when the user
>   dials again, it should work. It should be fairly OK with the client
>   performing a new DNS lookup before it registers, if the DNS is aware
>   of which box is up.
>
>--
>Nicolas Bougues
>Axialys Interactive

Nicolas -
   You identify "BGP-like" protocols to do this.  It exists, but it's
not in Asterisk yet (or really anywhere, for that matter.)  It's
called "TRIP" and it's an RFC.  Search the archives for discussions
on this topic, as I have brought it up before.  It can be used for
quite a few purposes, both as an IGP (Internal Gateway Protocol) and
an EGP (External Gateway Protocol) for moving phone numbers around.

   TRIP with and ENUM front-end would be ugly, but probably very effective.

JT