[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Asterisk servers sharing/propagating registry ?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Dec 9 14:06:09 MST 2003

> I'd like to know if there is a way for multiple asterisk servers to
> share a common SIP and/or IAX registry.

> The setup I imagine would be something like :
> - several asterisk servers called sip1.isp.com, sip2.isp.com, ...
> - a DNS alias sip.isp.com pointing to all the addresses (thus
>   providing a round robin resolution on each server)
> - each SIP client would register with sip.isp.com (thus ending on a
>   random asterisk servers)
> - but after that, all the servers would be "aware" of the
>   registration. Thus any asterisk server would know how to route a
>   call to SIP/<some registered user>

I would like to know how to do this as well, but for different reasons:
mobile users.  If I'm in the office my SIP phone registers with the local *
box, or at my house wiht my * box, and so on and so forth, so my extension
moves with me.  If I'm not anywhere near a * box the SIP registration
eventually dies and since there's no SIP registration it calls my cell
phone...  kind of like a universal extension type of thing.

I know I can dial all of them with one extension and whichever picks up
picks up but that seems a little ... hokey.  I can't think of a better way
to do it short of being able to propagate registrations across * boxes.

Regards,
Andrew