[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Asterisk servers sharing/propagating registry ?

Florian Overkamp florian at obsimref.com
Tue Dec 9 12:52:57 MST 2003

Hi,

Citeren Nicolas Bougues <nbougues-listes at axialys.net>:

> > It would be a major change to the code but I think what you'd
> > want to do is have the Asterisk server store _all_ of it's information
> > in something like a database, The dail plan, SIP registrations,
> > everything would have to go there.  Once you've done that any
> > number of Asterisk servers could share the same database and there
> > are methods of running mirrored databases already.
>
> This is one way of doing it. The other way being to exchange live
> routing/registration data, and keep and process it locally, somewhat
> like what a BGP router does.

The big trick here is to figure out where changes can apply. If there is one
master server that controls what should happen one could easily drop relevant
files in a cvs repository or something. Alternatively, write scripts that read
the configuration from a shared database.

It will be more tricky if changes can occur at multiple sites. There is a
partial description of BGP usage for telephony routing (TRIP) but its only
about routing, not about applications, so for a cooperating set of asterisk-
boxes it will be insufficient.

> It's not the goal here. I'm not looking for "five nines". I'm looking
> for a way to :
> - connect several tens of E1 channels (thus I need a quite a few
>   different boxes)
> - support the fact that any single box may be down. I could drop the
>   channels it currently processes, which is OK. But when the user
>   dials again, it should work. It should be fairly OK with the client
>   performing a new DNS lookup before it registers, if the DNS is aware
>   of which box is up.

Yes please. Ofcourse much of this also has to do with the way your telco
delivers the E1 lines.

--
Best regards,
Florian Overkamp