[Asterisk-Users] door phone

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Dec 1 19:05:04 MST 2003

On Dec 1, 2003, at 10:10 AM, Jon Pounder wrote:

> That's an interesting solution.
>
> Caveats :
>
> - To have a door phone and door release would require 2 ports on the
> pbx
> unless you don't want to be able to call the doorphone, or release the
> door while the caller is still on the line.

Yes, I am using 2 ports for this.  Otherwise, the door would open if
you just wanted to ring the phone outside the door.  I have 2
extensions, (1) front door, and (2) front door release.

I have my PBX set up so that if you dial the release extension, it
rings once or twice, and then hangs up the call.  This way, people can
program their phone for the release, and just press a button on their
phone to open the door.  (for example, if someone just rings the
doorbell or knocks, instead of calling).

As it happens, the contactor also closes a nice 12V (or something like
that, circuit), and I added another cheap piezo buzzer, because the
system I had didn't have any buzzer sounds..).

> - if the doorphone is a regular phone and uses this method, anyone
> could
> simply apply 120VAC to the phone jack for it and presto, the door
> opens.

If you used just one extension for both, and the phone jack was
accessible, and the person had a source of 120V nearby. (or brought 10
9v batteries with them for 90V).

But, there's probably easier ways to defeat electric door releases than
all that.