[Asterisk-Users] 911, networks of * servers, etc. (was: VOIP Dialtone?)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Aug 21 01:32:24 MST 2003

OK, that "VOIP dialtone?" thread was getting really out of hand, so
I'll condense my answers into one big ugly message:

1) 911 service.  Yes, that is one of three reasons to keep your PSTN
line.  The other two reasons are:   Inbound calls from local callers
still should work on a POTS line, for now.  You can't find VOIP
providers in most area codes, so you'll most likely need to have a
"local" number that finds it's way to you for "local" tasks.
Secondly, the Internet is not as reliable as the phone system.
Sorry, folks, it just works that way right now despite what your
network engineer might tell you.  That's not to say it's unreliable,
but those last two nines are very expensive... Besides, any good
network engineer will tell you that you should have multiple paths
for your IP connectivity.  With few exceptions, most homes do not
have multipath connectivity.  (note: businesses may in fact have
better uptime on their IP network than their phone network, if they
have competent engineers and a reasonable budget.)

1.5) There are reasonable technical solutions to this problem, but
for the life of me I can't figure out why the 911 centers haven't
gotten their act together and solved this.  There are two halves to
this problem: "What PSAP do I call? (and what phone number)"  and
"How do I get my location data to the PSAP once I call them?"
C'mon, this is not difficult.  The first question can be answered
trivially: there _must_ be a database of address-to-PSAP mappings.
Any PBX administrator (or SIP phone owner, for that matter) should be
able to figure out their address.  Methods for associating the PSAP
number with the phone are numerous, and trivially implemented - if
people don't keep their address information updated, they're SOL
(though you can remind them in an automated fashion to keep it
updated - just forbid them from using the service unless they verify
the address every month or so.)

The second question is more difficult, but certainly possible.  There
may be kludge ways of doing it, and there should be more elegant ways
of doing it.  A SIP header with lat/lon/alt data that gets sent from
the UA only on 911 (or other programmable string) calls might be
reasonably elegant... maybe.  But that only gets the data to the SIP
proxy.  That doesn't solve the issue of how you get that data from
the SIP proxy to the PSAP, which at some point will be almost
certainly through a PSTN connection... ADSI FSK, maybe?  Ugly, and
PSAPs would not want to invest in equipment.  A national caller-id to
location clearinghouse in which your proxy could participate (any 911
calls would create a temporary mapping)?  Maybe, but probably not.
Non-standard, and I doubt PSAP operators would want another tool,
even if it is web-based and so easy a monkey could use it.  I don't
know.  I guess I'll grill the PSAP people at the panel next month at
VON.  :-)

2) Networks of Asterisk servers, offering dialtone to each other in
different places.  YES, this is a good idea, but setting dialplans up
for least-cost-routing via static routes is a pretty rotten and
unscaleable task.  See my conversations on why someone should
implement TRIP in Asterisk (hey, I'm still looking for a
programmer... anyone want some money?)
   http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2003-July/001172.html

I already participate in one such network, and I get free calls into
four large area codes into which I terminate much of my traffic, and
they get... well... not much, since I live in an area code that gets
very little traffic.  :-)  They get my undying gratitude.

3) Local service vs. long distance:  I route local (read: "free")
calls over my PSTN connection.  I make very infrequent local calls,
but it seems to work well for me.  I could, probably without
noticing, send all my calls through my LD provider, even those which
are local, and not notice a change in my bills.  The cost for a
business when you examine the measured service that most businesses
use vs. the cost of LD, is a silly comparison - it's very often
cheaper to dial via a VOIP provider than it is to dial a local
measured RBOC call.   Go, Go, Gadget Deregulation!!  Uh... wait...
"de"regulation?   This may be illegal if you're a CLEC/LEC, but if
you're not a phone company, go right ahead.

4) To whoever asked, http://www.voicepulse.com/  should work with
Asterisk, as they are SIP based.  I don't know if they give you
username/password though - I didn't look that far into it.

JT