[Asterisk-Users] Oen source IP phone, maybe?

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Tue Aug 19 12:40:23 MST 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Michael Sandee wrote:

> I guess you will need some software/mem/cpu/flash too? getting it on a
> cicuitboard etc?

Software would be opensource...get a couple of people together to write it
RAM I missed, I thought the C400 had onboard ram, but it doesn't...so add
another $10.
CPU is what the DS80C400 is.  Its a 8051-based microcontroller with a
built in ethernet controller and IPV4/V6 stack.  Its fairly easy to write
code for.
There's also no need for much flash...you can DHCP/TFTP the C400.

> You would be more looking at 200$+ for a full board... the thing is you
> need something with drivers, or open standards hardware that you can
> write drivers for. I've not seen much available boards with dsp etc...
> one at broadcom iirc

Looking through the C400's documentation again, they indicate that its got
some Particularly Beefy(tm) math ability, which would eliminate the need
for an external DSP...just need an 8 bit DAC/ADC.

> Case is probably not something you make just like that, you usually get
> a design, and people make it... and thats very expensive... but it gets

For a phone, you are correct.  For an ATA-type thingie...a $10 black
plastic box from Radio Shack would do just fine.

> I've been dreaming about this aswell though ;) there are just many hooks
> to it.. overcome audio problems, speakerphones, echo, echo cancelling...

You don't really need all of that for an ATA-type adapter, which is what I
was thinking of.  Of course a phone based on the same technology would be
much more.

Oof.  Forgot about DTMF decoding from the phone through the adapter.
Shouldn't be that hard...

Hmmm.  Price may be a bit higher than $40...but I'm positive it would be
less than an ATA-186 and you'd have full control over the code.