[Asterisk-Users] Oen source IP phone, maybe?

mawali at news.icns.com mawali at news.icns.com
Tue Aug 19 15:32:11 MST 2003

Hi
The BOM that you have for a 8 bit uC based system comes to be high for
the processing power you would need.
I would do it this way (I have already done it, but since I did it for
someone else I cannot give it away).

Hardware
   1) A mips or arm based DSP/network processor
   2) Telephony interface (Slic/Slac, A/D etc) or Voice interface (Mic.
            Seakers D/A ,etc) phone voice is 4KHZ so you dont need any
            fancy stuff.
   3) Network interface (ethernet/usb or serial) you can build on that

Software
   1) uClinux (or mips-linux or arm-linux)
   2) DSP control/RTP abstraction
   3) Signalling stack (h323, mgcp are already available, maybe SIP)

A system like this would be able to drive 2 lines snd also do some fancy
stuff.

Regards