[Asterisk-Users] Open G.729A codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Aug 13 00:23:57 MST 2003

Hi Dan,

Dan wrote:

> [...]
The GSM 06.10 codec is *much* less complex than G.729. Mark said he had
over 200 channels of GSM running on a server a long time ago, but I
don't know what that machine was. 06.10 isn't that great a codec,
though. I don't think it is used very much on the GSM networks these
days. Most of the time they use the enhanced full rate (EFR) or half
rate codecs.

I just tried the ITU reference floating point code for G.729. Its
considerably faster. It encoded a 3.5 minute speech file in less than
5s, and decompressed it in about 1s.

I have no idea whether you are permitted to base an implementation on
anything in the reference code. The code says its copyright by "AT&T,
France Telecom, NTT, University of  Sherbrooke, Conexant, Ericsson. All
rights reserved." but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Once you
have the code, it is mearly impossible to make a clean room
implementation, and its hard to get a clean room implementation bit
accurate unless you play with the reference code. I couldn't find a
clear statement about what you are permitted to do. I assume as long as
you cough up the patent licence fees they wouldn't care too much, but
who knows.

Regards,
Steve