[Asterisk-Users] Open G.729A codec

Dan dtoma at fx.ro
Wed Aug 13 00:02:39 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Underwood" <steveu at coppice.org>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Open G.729A codec

> Steve Underwood wrote:
> After writing this I got curious about how fast/slow the ITU reference
> code really is. I built and ran the G.729A reference code on a 2.4GHz
> Xeon machine, running RedHat 9. Its actually a dual Xeon, but the test
> is only able to use 1 CPU.
>
> G.729A is the fixed point reduced complexity version of G.729. Reduced
> complexity means it needs about half the MIPs of the more complex
> version. I compressed and decompressed a 3.5 minute file of 16 bit
> linear speech. It took 25 seconds to compress and about 5 seconds to
> decompress. That ratio seems about right for a codec of this type. So,
> using this code you can only do 7 bidirectional channels, using 100% of
> a 2.4GHz Xeon. Not exactly great, huh?
>
> Perhaps I should try the floating point version. That might perform
> somewhat better on an x86 machine, as any scaling and saturation steps
> need not be performed.
>
> For comparison, can anyone tell me how fast the VoiceAge codec runs? If
> is isn't a *lot* faster than that I would be rather surprised. It should
> be algorithmically more efficient, and I assume as a commercial product
> it should be using MMX, SSE and/or SSE2.

There is any test made in the same conditions using Asterisk's GSM codec?
I am interested in the scaling possibilities when using hardware IP phones
with G.711 codec (like Cisco's 79x0, ATA, Budgetone, SNoM, etc.) and remote
IAX connections plus all the local voice prompts and voicemail using GSM
codec.

Thanks,
Dan